Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Boobs and Boston

On Monday I went to the Premiere Urgent Care of Post Falls to do a preliminary drug screening.  The job for which I am applying for is that of customer assistant at a bra shop.  Unless something shows up in my background check or pee test that makes them dislike me (and there shouldn't be a damn thing in either of those that would make anyone dislike me), then I will be starting work for them very soon.  I'm happy because, aside from learning the cash register, I think that the metrics and pitches sound challenging but able to be met without too much undue stress.  On the whole it would be the perfect job for me because the work environment is professional (I would get to dress up a bit and wear some makeup and get in touch with my feminine side which gets lost a great deal of the time), has very little in and out customer traffic, seems very laid back, and is in a small, out of the way, strip mall.  Also I will only be working fifteen to twenty hours a week, thereby allowing me to keep the job even after I begin my MFA program.  I have to wait and hear back later today, but I am positive about it and if I end up not being hired it won't sour me on the store, but it will be quite a surprise.

As for the MFA program; I have already been accepted at Solstice (the college near Boston) and since it was my first choice for a long time, I am thinking that that's where I'm going to go ahead and attend.  I haven't heard anything back from Queens University of Charlotte and I never did get my application sent off for PLU's Rainier Writers Workshop.  I think that Solstice and RWW were tied for my affections and it came down to logistics.  Also, the RWW program has a very low number of new members they allow into their program every year and while I desperately wanted to know if I would have made the cut, I was also leery of facing a rejection.  I know that as I start to send out my writing to magazines, agents, and publishers that I am going to face a great deal of that and so I sort of figured why start now.  Wrong attitude I know, but it feels good to have made a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment