Sunday, February 3, 2013

Day Eleven and Twelve in Boston and Woburn

The last day of the residency entailed a 'working breakfast.'  We met up in the PDR and talked of the next phase of our education, that being the 'semester plans.'  It was advised of us not to make any large life decisions while still under the influence of radioactivity of the Residency.  This was good advice as I was pretty much decided on quitting my job and running away to join the circus to better express my creativity.  I shan't be doing that.

There were many hugs and then we dispersed back into the real world.  My Solstice Buddy, Eileen, invited me to stay the night at her home with her family rather than stay the night at the airport and I was only too excited to take her up on her generosity.  So I ventured with her and Alex, thus making a triad of Fiction writers, up toward Woburn located about thirty minutes or so North of Boston.  Beautiful country, beautiful architecture and a fun dose of culture from the other side of the United States of America.  Felt like going to Canada - so much the same, so much the different.

This is a short and sweet entry that brings my first residency experience to a close.  It does very little justice to the fantastic time I had visiting with Eileen's family (breaking the bed, cussing with her mom, watching some fun T.V., taking the Logan Express bus to the airport, and being spoiled with ice cream, Chinese food, and a meatball sub that still makes my mouth water), but I wanted to get it posted since my diary-like entries felt incomplete without the sum up.

In speaking of the residency, now that it's been about a month since seeing everyone, I find that I miss my little fiction crew most dearly and I am excited and eager to get to see everyone again in June.  I am not looking forward to the promise of heat stroke and I'm sad that I won't be with my family for the fourth of July, but I'll deal.  There will be coffee and companionship, two of the things I need most in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment