Sunday, April 14, 2013

Oh, Vizio...


So as it turns out, sleep, medication, and reality were effective in convincing me to keep my sexy little Vizio instead of turning her back into Walmart with a 'thanks for all the fish' sort of repartee.  Firstly, I am typing on it right now and while I am still having to go back and fix things here and there it's not nearly as bad as it was two days ago or even yesterday.  I even managed to sit and type on it while Hannah and I bombarded Barnes & Nobles today.  By the time I've made about half a page, I was a little tired of putting so much concentration into the act but I wasn't crying and I was actually kind of proud.

Secondly, the idea of taking the computer back began to give me mild palpitations - not so much because I thought that Walmart wouldn't take it, but more so because she is such an astronomically good deal that there would be no way I'd get another computer this cool/groovy for anywhere near the price.  Right now, this Vizio (same specs) sells for anywhere between $650 and $850 new, and around $450 to $550 used.  This one is new.  And it's Windows 7.  And it was $500.  I got a heck of a deal and apparently others are finding that they really love these little beasts because they are getting fairly high marks and also stores are running the fuck out of them.  They got bought up at Walmart so fast it's almost like it didn't carry them at all.  It was kind of a fluke that I ended up with it.

Thirdly, I ain't got no other option!  The Samsung that I lusted after yesterday in my blog post is no longer available.  Hardly any of the computers that were Windows 7 are available.  I even broadened my criteria to include mammoth screens and yet there was nary a Windows 7 in sight.  I took all of these things to mean that I just needed to be patient and breathe and give Vignette a little more time.  That's what I named the little beast: Vignette.  Because she's like a little slice.  They really mean it when they call the Vizio CT14 Ultrabook a 'thin and light' laptop.  When she's closed down flat she almost disappears.  Kind of like Tim Roth in 'Rob Roy' during the final duel between him ad Liam Neeson.  I swear that there are moments when he turns just right and his skinny little British body seems to slurp into another dimension and disappear right there on screen.

Something interesting that I hadn't known prior to nabbing this little beauty from the shelves a few days back was that Vizio only entered the PC scene around June of last year.  This was one of their first babies on the market from what I can tell and again, I am lucky to have snagged it for this price.  Now that the word is out, they are selling like hot cakes.  I think in a weeks time, when I am used to the super responsive mouse pad and the extremely thin keys, I will have nothing but good things to say about her.  For now, this blog was further practice before I begin really hunkering down on novel stuff for my homework tomorrow.  I have lots to write and not much time to do it in.  I cannot believe that the second residency is just around the corner.  This time when I go to Boston, I will more than likely have a little Vizio by my side.

If he can type on a flat keyboard then surely I can figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. I think I was only able to get a Windows 7 machine because it's refurbished. I'm glad your new toy has 7, too. Windows 8 is a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A joke I am dealing with at the moment. -.- thankfully I am highly adaptable.

    ReplyDelete