Monday, November 11, 2013

Dust Bowl and Thor: The Dark World


Still trucking along on my Dust Bowl novel which I am now tentatively calling "The Summer of August Hunt" because it sounds 'oh, so official' and literary.  I might change it eventually to something to do with dreams since that is a theme and actual 'thing' in the novel, but for now it's SoAH.  I think I actually know how I want the novel to end which is awesome because it's a good rule of thumb to know what you will write before FADE OUT before you ever write FADE IN (screenplay writing advice from eons ago).

We found out about workshop groups today via an email sent out from the director of the MFA program.  I'm in a small group of six (including me) and I'm very excited because I will get to have Steve Huff in one workshop and Randall Kenan in the other!  I've never worked with Randall before but have wanted to for a long time.  This is going to be fantastic.  For both workshops, I plan to send in chapters of SoAH and keep the Death Man out of the lime light for a little bit.  I want to work on that novel pretty hard core right after the residency as well as pump out my critical thesis as fast as humanly possible.  I'm going to finish up my ideas for Sterling to look over in the next day or so and then start making book lists for both ideas.  I want to be rocking and rolling by the time I leave Boston.

In other news, Hannah and I had a date day today.  We went to see Thor: The Dark World.  It was supremely kick ass and much better on all fronts than the first Thor.  (Except Anthony Hopkins.  I do love this actor, don't get me wrong, but his performance or 'presence' was just as uninspiring as it was in the first).  And I do love Kenneth Branagh, but his milk toast version of Thor was more of a bedtime story than an action packed smack down.  In this sequel they got a better director.  Much better.  Alan Taylor did a kick ass job of piecing together amazing cinematography, special effects, and witty banter.  The side characters have a much more integral and interesting part to play and the music - OH! the music! - it was wonderful and memorable and not a soft underlying backdrop. This time the music was a character and I loved it. Thank you Brian Tyler! Other things I liked (and some people might consider these things to be spoilers): jocular nudity of a male character, dismemberment, Mjonir's scenic route through New York, boy-saves-girl-girl-dips-boy-and-kisses, and the merriment of chasing birds outside your own dimension.  Oh, and Loki gets into Captain America's pants.  Now go see it!

9 comments:

  1. Wait, what? Who does what to who's pants? xDDD Are you teasing us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee - I am not lying. But I mean the 'pants' line in the very literal sense XD. Oh, go see it! You will just eat it all up. It's so enjoyable and I can't stop thinking about how adorable Loki is and I just know Tom Hiddleston must have had so much fun playing him. <3 <3

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm dying to see the Lokiness but at this rate, I'll be the last one to go see it and everyone will be tired of hearing about it by then. :'( My son is so lazy about doing anything that doesn't involve sitting in front of a monitor, sigh. I wish there were buses here, I'd go see it alone, i would! And yes, he must have really enjoyed playing Loki because I saw footage of him on opening night [red carpet crap]and he got all teary-eyed when the interviewer mentioned Loki not making any more appearances in Marvel movies. [translation: he has a huge Loki boner after playing him in three movies. xDDD ]Hahahah....Loki boner. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey even if you don't get to see it until it comes out to buy - we will all still be game for fangirling over it with you XD. *hugs* And omg the Loki Boner >< He's just wonderful. Wonderful! I really hope your son will take you to see it because it's such an action packed piece that it deserves at least one viewing on the big screen.

      Delete
    2. Aw, but he HAS to play Loki in more Marvel movies! If you see the movie, you'll see what I mean, because they definitely set it up for that...

      Delete
  3. Side not, Amanda: I also freaking love Kat Dennings. I don't know why I didn't mention her in my post, but she's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she's wonderful in it! I think she looks super adorable in the movie XD

      Delete
  4. Loki boner...it's one of those things that sounds exactly how you see it in your head. xD

    Pretty sure the kid and I won't be going to see it. I mentioned it again and he said he doesn't want to spend the money. Translation: He doesn't want to go. Of all the cockadoodie...arghh! xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I feel that it is an injustice of the world to be deprived the Loki movie. It's not even Thor: The Dark World anymore lol, it's the Loki movie. *hugs* I think he should just drive you to the theatre and let you see it! Even if you had to go alone. He can go and shop or something for two hours and you can have Loki all to yourself. >< That's what I think.

      Delete