Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The good is that I have an interview tomorrow with the District Manager for the L'eggs Hanes Bali store in Post Falls.  If I do well, I may be offered the position of Third Key.  This is good.  But even better is that next Thursday I have another interview.  This one is for the Public Services Associate position for the Spokane Valley Library.  I want this one.  Oh, I want this one so bad!  I'm happy that I made it to the interview stage (and what's even more exciting is that they called me the day after I dropped off my application!) and as long as I don't make a fool out of myself, I think I have a really good chance.  If I do land this job, that means that Hannah and I will be getting out asses to Spokane in the very near future.

We have looked online and in person at several apartments in the area and the one that we've both pretty much fallen in love with is Valley 206.  This apartment complex has everything we could possibly want and it's one of the more reasonably priced ones that we checked out.  The location is a little strange and it's going to suck during heavy ice and snow this winter but, hey, that's why we have a Jeep, right?  Also it's super close to the Library where I *crosses fingers* might be working.

The bad is that this computer - the one I am using until my new Vizio laptop arrives - is really just about kaput.  There's a double line running vertically on the monitor where some pixels have frozen or broken somehow, the front corners of the main body are chipped away and cracked, it runs at an astounding glacial speed, it is given to overheating, and today I broke the 'F' key.  Not an F1 or other various F key.  The 'F' key.  The one I use to spell fuck.  Normally this would only be a minor set back, but today is Death Man day and I've had some major issues getting the story down when the F key flips off the keyboard when I use it too frequently.  Oh, well.  New computer will be here soon, I just have to keep telling myself this.

The ugly is my dirty little secret: I'm obsessed with No. 6.  I have read the first six volumes of the manga and seen the first four episodes of the anime.  It's been a great source of inspiration for me with Death Man as it features a religiously driven hegemonic society that calls itself a utopia but is, in fact, a monumental dystopia.  The main characters Rat (Nezumi) and Shion remind me a bit of my Death Man and Simon but not in any way that makes me go 'oh no, my novel's already been written!'  No, this story is nothing like Death Man but has a similar enough flavor that it has nourished me in my own endeavors.

4 comments:

  1. I love No.6! I love fun and romantic anime and manga, but I really enjoy the more serious types like No. 6, Fullmetal Alchemist (my all time favorite) and Ergo Proxy.

    I know I should never get my hopes up (my Dad says never have high expectations or hopes that way you don't get disappointed) but I really desperately hope you get the library job. And I am kind of hoping that after we've moved over to Spokane area (really hope we can get into 206 as well) that the Spokane library calls me in and I can get a job with them.

    Also, if Vizio doesn't get that box sent out to you soon, I'm going to pitch a fit. There is no reason it should take this long to get a damned box in the mail. Rawr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the library job! I know you'll do well. :)
    Also yay for apartments! The pictures are really nice looking. Buuuut I think you forgot you're moving to Boston, not Spokane. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi:)
    Fingers crossed you get the library job!!!!
    Winter? What's that? Lol
    Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete