Thursday, October 15, 2015

CD, Newsy Nails, Pics, and Sick

This is one of the stained glass images one the Sprague-side entrance to the Cowles Building.
Yesterday I did a creative project. I made my self a mixed CD to listen to during my 15-20 minute drive to the Park and Ride bus stop in Liberty Lake. I wanted to listen to things that would wake me up, pump me up, get me jazzed for the work day. So I put a variety of dubstep, metal, and rock on the first two-thirds of the mix and then finished it off with a few softer hits. Those are meant to be my 'coming down' at the end of the day songs.  Here's the playlist:
Skrillex - Kyoto
Korn - Get Up
In This Moment - Adrenalize
System of a Down - Question!
Metallica - The Unforgiven III
Korn - Narcissistic Cannibal
In This Moment - Blood
Serj Tankian (from System of a Down) - Empty Walls
System of a Down - Toxicity
Three Days Grace - Get Out Alive
Jack Off Jill - Strawberry Gashes
Korn - Forsaken
Metallica - The Unforgiven II
System of a Down - Lonely Day
Foxsky - Kirby Smash
Incubus - Love Hurts
Imagine Dragons - Demons (YouTube Artist Cover)
Fanmade Version - Come Little Children
Flobots - Handlebars
What project? A mixed CD. What did I learn? I learned that I actually really like Skrillex. Also I learned, or remembered rather, just how much I adore Metallica's Unforgiven trilogy. I was going to add the first Unforgiven to the mix and I'm not sure why I changed my mind in the end. I suppose I was hoping to get just a pinch more variety on there. I sort of wish I had switched out one of the SoaD songs for the first Unforgiven. I kind of miss that song. So I guess I learned that sometimes it pays to go with your first inclinations instead of trying to be practical. Not always, but sometimes. Also I learned that the drive to the Park and Ride is much more bearable with a little heavy bass in my ear. Lastly: Did I complete the project? Yes I did. A day late and a dollar short, but I did it just the same!


Antique (and still functioning!) mailbox in the Chronicle Hallway of the Cowles Building.
The next project is newspaper nails! I had decided to do newspaper nails before I saw this awesome entry and tutorial! But then after viewing it I was super excited to try. You paint your nails with a light color first, then dip your fingertips in isopropyl alchohol. Then press some newsprint to the wet nail and the words will stick. They end up as a mirror image, but they still look really neat! What I learned though is that you don't need to hold the newsprint to your nails very long. In fact you just dab the ink onto them for about two seconds or three seconds and the transfer will take. I also learned that they look really fucking cool! 






I like them a lot and will probably do them quite often. Even my shitty hand looks pretty dang good. The newsprint covers a great many errors and flaws. And even if you do screw up, it looks like ripped newspaper so it's still a win. Did I complete the project: yes. I'm still one project behind. That's just how it's going to be until this weekend. I'm really sick as it turns out. I think riding the bus has given not only a new perspective on transport but also a new gamete of germs in my system. And I'm fighting it! Damn, I'm fighting it! But this morning I puked and this evening I'm stuffed up like a Thanksgiving turkey. So I'm going to take some medicine and conk out. One more day and then the weekend. I can't wait for some extended rest.

Another printer stained glass. I love these guys.

2 comments:

  1. Hell yah Metallica!
    the nails sound really cool... wish the pictures were a little better (ones with out the flash on so we could see it better) might have to steal this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the pics really suck ugh - but if you follow the link I included you can see the nails on someone else's hands way better. But yeah - all I have is my silly little phone camera lol. This is why I don't post many pictures haha.

      Delete