Saturday, June 18, 2016

Aine of Knockaine



Believe something and the Universe is on its way to being changed. Because you've changed, by believing. Once you've changed, other things start to follow. Isn't that the way it works?


Side note: I just came back from the pool and hot tub. While I did rinse off in the shower, I still smell (and apparently taste) strongly of chlorine and chemicals. For some reason Narcisa is crazy about this flavor. It never fails that when I return from a pool outing she finds me suddenly incredibly interesting. For about ten minutes now she's been sitting in the chair next to me gnawing on the skirt of my swim suit and, occasionally, my arm. It's the sort of lazy gnawing that speaks nothing of challenge or play, just pleasure. She's such a hedonist.


This Monday is the Strawberry/Rose Full Moon (a.k.a. the Mead Moon). I've offered to put together a small ritual to be performed at a relaxing shindig at our friend's house. After browsing Moon Magick by DJ Conway, I've decided to honor the goddess Aine of Knockaine. This goddess is Queen of the Fairies. She's a goddess of midsummer, of fertility, and of love. She is invoked in the forming and keeping of vows (especially magickal vows), as well as in punishment for sex crimes. In researching her a little online I came across several blogs with posts concerning the Fairy Queen (Voices from the Dawn, Journeying to the Goddess, and GoddessSchool.com) and have formed the opinion that Aine of Knockaine is quite the bad-ass. 


In one story, the King of Munster rapes her but during the act she manages to bite of his ear, thus causing a deformity that makes him unfit to rule as King and pretty much ruining his life. As with most folklore/myths this story is an allegory: if you rape the land by taking what isn't yours to take, it will come back to destroy you in the end. I love this. I love the justice of it. Treat the earth with the respect she deserves. She is all we have on this plane. She is just as much a part of us all as we are all a part of her and it's nice to meet Aine, an avenging/Karmic angel, who defends herself and her lands.


For my ritual I'm going to include a variety of elements. Since Aine is the Midsummer Fairy and since the Solstice is the very next day I'm going to honor the Sun in addition to the Moon. And since I'm also focusing on the Strawberry and Rose aspects I'm going to make my own version of Shabartee Gulab (which is a rose and pineapple drink mentioned in DJ Conway's book) and this will serve as the ale part of 'cakes and ale.' For the cake part I'm debating on a sweet treat or fresh fruit. Also I'm going to use an onion in the ritual. I have missed group spirituality like this and can't wait for Monday night. I'm writing little pieces of the ritual here and there, though overall, I have found that just speaking from the heart in the moment is much more satisfying. Still, I'll probably have a few phrases and invocations to share here tomorrow. Until then, Blessed be.

2 comments:

  1. You found really pretty pictures and you get bonus points for including one from Nene Thomas!!! I am looking forward to the rit and don't use up all my rose petals or else! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad I found a Nene Thomas one ^_^ Also I really think the ritual will be nice. Short and sweet and nice.

      Delete