Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Favorite Taste; Red; Gay Tarot and the Gilded Unicorn

Yesterday's August Break was 'Favorite taste' and while this initially seemed like a very difficult prompt in the end it was coffee. I love coffee for more than the taste. It is a comfort drink and a pick-me-up in the morning. Drinking it makes me feel connected to a world of other coffee drinkers and, most imporantly, makes me feel connected to my father. He's full of coffee history and lore and has spent most of his life singing away taste buds with overly hot cups of coffee. He loves it too much to wait very long. And he likes it black. Once in a great while he'll add some milk. And sometimes he'll put in a tiny bit of sugar but when he sees me add a dollop of creamer he makes the 'yuck' face and accuses me of poisoning a perfectly good beverage. Poisoned and pleasant. I love my coffee and I love my dad for instilling in me a respect for the magical bean. I pay tribute to the goddess Caffeina whenever I can. She is a deity most welcome in my home. She's been there for me during long nights of stress and study. She's been there for me early in the morning when the world was still dark outside and my body ached for more sleep. And so for those reasons, coffee gets 'Favorite taste' for the August Break. Onward now to Red. What a fun prompt. I thought about taking an emotional stance for the color but then (on my way to get the featured coffee with my boss, coffee that I had won via a trivia contest at work) I came across a variety of pretty red things and felt inspired to start snapping away.







The tarot draw for today comes from the Gay Tarot. I came by this deck in a fantastic accident. I was buying some random tarot decks from someone off of Craigslist and at the end of my 'shopping' they said they would throw in one more deck for free if I wanted since most of the decks I'd purchased were for other people. I said well... and looked over at the Gay Tarot. Oh man, they couldn't have been happier to get that 'gay' shit out of their house! All of the decks had once belonged to their son who either found a different path or was being forced to sell all these decks due to finances. Either way I could tell the deck had been well used (I certainly didn't mind that as long as all the cards were there) so I felt that perhaps mom and dad were living in a bit of denial. Well, Son, I've got your Gay Tarot now and am giving it lots of attention to honor your past usage of it. Today I drew The Fool. My second repeat (I've had two draws of 3 of Pentacles) for my daily draws for August.

Accepting and exploring one's sexual identity is a journey of self-discovery. Beginning a new and exciting venture. Going beyond the limits of social convention. A noncomformist.
As I've mentioned before, I am pretty much a walking talking example of The Fool card. In this deck it speaks about things like coming out of the closet and being daring and finding yourself, but this card is rather perfect for me today as I'm deciding to take some big risks and chances with writing and also with a possible major changes in the next few weeks. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if The Fool came up again during this month. The Fool is the starting off point for all truly great adventures. August Break and Daily Tarot are both leading me more and more to understand the importance of getting off my ass and getting shit done. Look at all the possibilities in this card: the predatorial blimp, the spastic butterfly, and big bad semi. Whatever the adventure that waits you, sticking out your thumb is the first step. 

Earlier this evening Hannah and I met up with some amazing friends for dinner at the Gilded Unicorn. It was a scrumptious and fun dinner. We chatted about goals and writing and butterflies and Stephen King and all sorts of things! I had a Sparkle Burger while another had Green eggs and Spam and still another had Chicken fried Salmon. The Gilded Unicorn had a fun menu there and while it is a bit on the pricey side it's kind of worth it for the unique atmosphere. I would go there again. Although apparently next on our list of fun downtown restaurants to check out is Nudo Ramen House. That one should be lots of fun as well. I can't wait for more adventuring.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't decided what my red thing will be yet. Wait... never mind, I think I just did. I really need to get caught up on this challenge. I had fun tonight and can't wait to try the ramen place.

    ReplyDelete