Saturday, October 15, 2016

Circles! And a refreshing view of Ouija Boards


So I am planning on doing some Ouija Board sessions during the month of October and so have purchased (thank you Amazon) a board of my own with a circular lay out. I am a huge fan of circles. My favorite shape. But not even for the obvious reasons (Witches be loving them circles, yo!) I have just always been attracted to circle shapes and spirals. They are my jam. Anyhow, so I am purchasing this circular style board which, according to the reviews does not come with "instructions." Not that instructions are needed, but it's nice to do some research before trying something new and "oh so very" controversial. I found a myriad of sites all proclaiming that there way was best. But the site I actually found helpful (The Museum of Talking Boards) came at the topic of Ouija with honesty and the tone of "it's up to YOU to decide what's best concerning usage and attitude." And that suits me very well. One of the articles I found on the Museum of Talking Boards site states: 
Opening and closing rituals are neither essential nor necessarily traditional but they might enhance your Ouija experience, particularly if you enjoy ceremony. Regardless of what you may have heard, there is no "one true way" to ritualize. Your "own true way" is best. Recite poems, speak power words, intone spirit invocations, or sing songs that are meaningful to you. Surround yourself with candles if you're so inclined. Above all, "personalize" your session. If you want to cover your board with amulets to protect yourself from the "unfriendlies," go ahead and do it. There are no rules to the contrary. Do whatever gets you in the mood.
I have only ever utilized a Ouija Board once before. It was on Halloween with a group of grade school friends. We ate tons of sugary treats, drank sodas, and watched Children of the Corn and other scary movies. Then someone brought out a Ouija Board and we gathered around. The planchette moved and I don't remember the question but I know at one point the planchette spelled out: AMANDA BAD. I felt that someone might be moving the piece on purpose to get at me or maybe there was a message there that we didn't finish like: AMANDA BAD AT SAXOPHONE or AMANDA BAD-ASS. But at the time I was just pretty flushed and upset. I didn't figure that I was bad (I admit I probably felt a little guilty since I was a good Catholic girl playing Ouija... who also knew how to masturbate, but....) either it was a friend being a jerk or perhaps it really was a spirit and it was being pesky. Moving right along now, I've been super curious to get back at a board and try for a serious and insightful session. If it says "Amanda bad" again I'm definitely going to ask for clarification because I may be a little bit "bad," but I'm damn "good" at it!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you went all gangster in the beginning of the post. I also as a christian teen with youth group put a bible on the ouija board and the book plopped to the floor and was flipping pages. I hope you get great insight when your board arrives.

    ReplyDelete