Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Life in the House so far


I'm learning every day...my knees and elbow ache and I've learned the value of Aleve. I've learned I don't really like shoveling snow but that once it starts melting it's good fun to chop up the ice blocks and throw them against the fence. I've learned that 75% of the shit we throw away can actually (and should actually) go into the recycle bin. I've learned the bigger the fire place the better - and that being said I will see about purchasing a cord of wood for next year because daddy and I like to burn things! I've learned that I don't really notice the noisy street. I don't even bat an eye at the fire truck sirens anymore. And the dog next door has realized we're supposed to be here and so he hardly barks at us. He does bark, but not even that bothers me. 

It's an energetic and strange atmosphere on Wellesley and I'm slowly adapting the oddity and comforts of it all. I have yet to see a utility bill and am sort of dreading when I learn how much it costs to run a house. 

The living room is painted black and is a fun mixture of Goth and Witch and as we get more and more organized it will become even more dramatic. The upstairs is going to be like an Asian Fusion of Indonesia, China, and Japan complete with teal and magenta for decor. The cats love the king sized bed. And so do we. We are still paying it off but I kind of think it's worth it. So large and comfy. And we did manage to get it up the narrow stairs to the master bedroom. There were people who doubted this could ever happen. 

The basement is where the troll lives. The troll is my father and my mother is called Sister Catherine. Someday I'll write a kid's story about Sister Catherine and the Troll who live in the basement and only come up to deliver freshly laundered clothing to their Witch overlords... or to burn shit. I had worried that with mom and dad living with us Hannah would be extremely unhappy and I would be very frustrated. So far at least my worries for nothing. We have enough space for all of us to live quite comfortably and for most of the day it feels like Hannah and I live alone in the upstairs. I don't want my parents to feel they can't come up, but I think they like feeling like they don't 'have' to come up. They have pretty much everything they need downstairs and we're working every day to make the house (all of it) more comfy and more like a home. 

There will be some fun before and after pictures once we get things a bit more organized. And this summer we are hosting a Black Moon Ball. It will sort of serve as a 'here's all the shit we wanted to do at our wedding but couldn't' and 'unofficial house warming' party.

2 comments:

  1. Glad everything is working out so far! I live on a busy street too but the only thing that really bothers me is the train a few blocks away. Glad I don't live next to it! I've lived next to railroad tracks before. No fun! Glad things are spacious enough for the whole family. Hope the utility bills are reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I resonate with your post. The work will never end on the home but every bit of magic you add to it brings home in tune with your vibes.

    ReplyDelete