Monday, August 3, 2015

Submissions, Job Applications, and Lots of People!


I recently submitted my short story to two Literary Magazines: Isthmus Review and Seven Circle Press. I did the online submission option but will be sending some out via snail mail in the next week or two. So I'm excited about that. 

But also, today, I submitted my application to the Spokane County Library District. I applied there earlier this year (way earlier this year), and am applying again for a slightly different but similar position. It took about five hours to finish all the materials for the application. I did my best to cover as much of the job description and organization principles in my cover letter as I could without making it bulky or unreasonably long. Ugh. I really want to get called in for an interview. I'm going to practice and practice and do such an awesome job this time. That's where I blew it last time I think. It was the interview. I want to deliver my interview the way I'm trying to write short stories, which is with brevity and a punch. I need this job. I really need this job. Not only for financial security but also for my soul. Writing and books are my life and I don't see myself being happy long term at a job that doesn't involve both. So I really need this job. Oh, I need it! 

In other news, I've had a very busy end of July and start of August. Last week, my friends A and B took Hannah and I to Silverwood, which is an old-timey themed amusement park. It was amazing. I used to go to Silverwood quite a bit when I was younger and then I recently went with my cousin Amber not that long ago but this was really special because it was the first time I'd ever gone to there with these two friends and we had all been planning and wanting this for probably the past five years. We played in the waterpark--the wave pool was amazing!--and afterwards we made our way through the park tasting of various rides and rollercoasters. By the end we were all pretty exhausted and poor Hannah had so much fun in the wave pool jumping and swimming that she was rather spent most of the day. But it was a really pleasant memory. I loved it. 

And now I have cousin Kat staying with us for the next week or so. It's so nice to reconnect with her and I'm excited for the time when she'll finally move back to Idaho. She'll be in Moscow and not up near us, but that will still be a helluva lot closer than Tulsa, OK. She's here for a short while and I'm so sad that I'm going to be working for most of that time. Still, we'll make the most of it! Tonight we're watching a scary movie and camping out in the living room. I sort of think ice cream would be the perfect addition to the evening. But that would involve driving. And it's hot! So we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment