Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 10 of the 11 Day Work Week and Ripping out the Throat of My Enemy!




I believe in the magic and authority of words.
René Char

Today was day 10 of the 11 day work week, ergo I only have tomorrow left and then I get to go to bed and not set an alarm. I'm excited about the generous paycheck that's coming but honestly I don't know that I would ever volunteer for this insanity again. On top of being my tenth day, it was also the day I got to talk to my boss's boss's boss (a.k.a. the big boss of all circulation). 

I was called into boss's boss's room for a meeting. The reason for the meeting: a horrid man called and I was lucky enough to take the call. He threatened to blow up the building (nothing new - many Pinch subscriptions flip their shit over the free publication and make similar threats) but then he threatened to choke the carrier and slash said carrier's tires. All because of one missed paper. Get this. The regular carrier on this route is immaculate and never misses anyone. This is the first time this subscriber was missed in over six months. And to make matters even better: we found out later that it was a sub on the route that day. All this because a sub, doing a very good job and making an honest mistake, missed delivery for jack-ass supreme. Anyway, we canceled the jerk's subscription and barred him from ever having a subscription again. We filed a police report and have informed the carrier to be extra vigilant, and today I made a statement to our organization and the powers that be because we may be putting extra rules down concerning this git. An unusual day for sure.

Yesterday I played DnD during lunch. I had to sort of finagle my lunch time in order to be able to play and it didn't make my supervisor very happy so I need to make a concentrated effort from now on to really honor my break and lunch periods. In the future, when we're better staffed, I think they'll put my Tuesday lunches at noon just so I can continue playing (I really enjoy playing) and I am grateful for that.
During play time yesterday our party made camp on a hill top. The weather was a little rainy and windy but not too bad. Our wilderness expert was keeping watch and saw some black figures leering over the sleeping forms of his companions. He fired an arrow at them and then they descended upon us with knives. They were short, muddy creatures that were probably goblins or something and one of them stabbed my Half-Orc Paladin pretty good. So, being prone and not having my armor or weapons at the ready, I grappled the fucker (I rolled a natural 19 for strength check) and then bit the shit out of his leg. When my turn came round again, I pulled him to the ground, (another natural 19), bit his neck, and ripped out his throat. Blood and sinew everywhere! Our DM rather enjoyed it and I think the other players finally got a glimpse of who I am as a player. It was hard to join in the middle of a quest and I don't know them all that well yet so I've been a bit shy, but on day 9... I had no choice but rip out his mother fucking throat. Somehow I was able to make it through the rest of the day.

That was yesterday. And today is over. Tomorrow is a Thursday. I didn't see an online pre-release of the Stitch and Witch article. I'm hoping that I see it first thing tomorrow though (since it was slotted for the Voice section). I hope it's dead slow tomorrow and I hope that all the subs and carriers do a good job tonight and in the early hours of the morning. I implore the goddess to soothe cranky customers and to keep me sharp when dealing with rough cases and to keep me quiet when dealing with bitchy douche nozzles. I actually really enjoy this job and want to continue performing well. Please goddess help me get through tomorrow. 

After work tomorrow Hannah and I are planning on going to fighter practice with the SCA (Society of Creative Anachronisms). So, in the end, regardless of how tomorrow goes, I'll get to end the day by beating people up with sticks. I couldn't ask for a better end to a very long and very odd 11 day work week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment