Friday, June 10, 2016

Log-in List, Hiring Problems, and Stitch and Witch


Today was day five of the eleven day work week that I'm currently struggling to survive. The other day I sat down with a friend and counted how many log ins I use at work. At the time I think I told her I had 8 log-ins. But I greatly underestimated the log-in happy environment that I work in. For fun here are the programs I have to log into:
  1. My computer
  2. My phone (the physical phone)
  3. Voicemails for Circulation/Pinch/Online/and Carrier Lines
  4. My phone system that allows me to take calls
  5. The phone system that allows me to monitor everyone else who is taking calls
  6. The Newscycle Program for subscriber accounts
  7. Employee Time Entry
  8. Commute Trip Reduction Program
  9. Employee Self Serve
  10. Online Admin access
  11. The DTI system that allows me to create/modify ads
  12. The Putty System that I use for publishing run
  13. The New York Times site
There may be more. I want to say that this job has helped me with my memory but I reckon that it's only my muscle memory that's improved. My fingers work without my conscious will now. They whiz through the system helping to redeliver papers, process complaints, and even take payments. It is nice to feel so second hand with the system.


Yesterday marked my 8th month working at The Spokesman-Review. I've been a lead a little over a month, or close to two months. Feels a bit like a whirlwind. I enjoy it. I really do. Right now, however, I'm anxious for the call queue to chill out a little so that I can get my head all sorted out and enjoy doing a bit more one on one work with some of our reps. I really enjoy the people I work with and want them to do their best. Speaking of people at work: we are understaffed. We need one full time person and one part time person. Out of the last four people we've hired only one of them has worked out. The sadness is as follows:
  1. Hired and quit within a couple months
  2. Hired and didn't work out within a week
  3. Hired and doing fucking phenomenal! (Also has a beard)
  4. Offered employment, accepted, but things just didn't work out
Okay so here it is folks. Beards. Hire the ones with beards. 

Yesterday I hung out at Stitch and Witch. One of our journalists from The Spokesman-Review came to one of these gatherings last month and is writing up an article to be published in the paper in the Voice section. I'll be linking that next week as soon as it comes up on www.spokesman,com.

2 comments:

  1. Take a vacation as soon as it's available. I'm happy for you that one of your new employees has worked out so phenomenally. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to take some time off very soon ^_^ and I'm so glad that the new guy is doing amazing too.

      Delete