Thursday, February 15, 2018

Back to the Books!


Hannah and I are picking out books for each other to read as a sort of "Wifey Book Club." The book I selected for Hannah is The Alchemy of Stone by Ekaterina Sedia and the book she selected for me was one that she read many times as a young adult (and it is the book that got her really excited about story-telling and becoming a writer): Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. I haven't read The Alchemy of Stone yet but I picked it for Hannah because it looked very much like something she would enjoy, but she picked Mara for me because she wanted to share a very important memory and piece of her past with me. I'm delighted she picked it. I had tried to read it once before and wasn't feeling it, however this time around I ate it up hungrily.

Last night I did something I haven't done in a very, very long time: I stayed up past my bedtime to read. Don't get me wrong I stay up later all the time (because I'm so responsible!) but it's usually to chit-chat with Hannah or to watch a show or something like that. It's been ages since a book has kept me up. It felt really exhilarating to get carried away by the written word again. So I didn't wait for Hannah to pick the next one. I chose one she had recommended to me a while ago: The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix

This series has been on my mind for two reasons: 1)I'm excited to read this author and 2) it's called the Seventh Tower series but there are only six books. This bothers me greatly! I realize that the name is due to there being seven towers of interest in this fantasy setting. And I realize that Garth only needed six books to tell his tale. But damn. It would have felt so incredibly satisfying if there had been just one more book. That aside, I am excited to get back to reading. And then... back to writing. Gotta work my muscles, my mind, my imagination, my everything so I can start getting my brain back in the game. 

2 comments:

  1. I had a manic bout of writing 11,000 words in three days. Followed by a week of obsessive research and editing. Editing is the "work" part of the writing I'm beginning to see. I never dreamed I'd become so immersed in research though. Enjoy your reads! I could use a good book. I tried a Stephen King but got too distracted. Plus he's losing his touch. Or else someone else is writing his books under his name with his permission. (My pet theory. I KMOW the feel of his writing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it has taken me so long to read this, honey. I love that you are reading those books and I promise to get my butt in gear and read the one you picked for me. I know once I start reading I will be able to write again. Having the office semi-set up helps that too. So buld your desk and join me in here.

    ReplyDelete