Thursday, August 23, 2012

Free Write Exercise

Dani submitted a writing prompt for her fellow writers/bloggers.  It is a free write with the intention of inspiring a poem.  It has been years since I sat down and wrote poetry and, quite frankly, my life is poorer for it.  Tonight I am going to attempt to rectify that and I'm not promising that the results will be all that awe inspiring or even worth reading, but they will exist and that is the first step.  I'm going to use pictures to start off the free write section.  I will look at the picture and draw words from it until those words spark my own creativity to take over and I may look back at the picture for more inspiration. It's there, I may as well use it!  Both of these pictures were selected by a friend.  I asked for one and she sent two.  Waste not want not.  I'm going to use both. I'm supposed to 'free write' for a minute only.  But alas, I can't tell time.

Lamb, horn, glow, chest, young, baby, hair, gold, glass, nothing, printing, painting, shading, piercing, hole, falling, hurting, painful, fell, scraped, blood, pool, pooling, drowning, gulping, fish, white, tail, hoof, gold, knuckle, knuckle, knuckle, chuckle, suckle, succor, frown, eye, nostrils, flaring, flaming, fire, hat, hair, balls, eyes, grey, sea foam, deep, where, table, buffet, brocade, corner, shine, live, living, promise, keep, forehead, unicorn, horse, myth, Catholic, blood, Christ, cannibalism, Trey Parker, mountains, eye, skin, eating, innocent, hanging, death, redemption, light, clothing... 

Nails, ring, lips, death, black, seductress, eyes, piercing, collar bone, shadow, dark, vulnerable, naked, contrast, blood, dripping, circles, blue, dark blue, brown, vampire, teeth, puncture, pierce, animal, tiger, lion, killing, pride, mane, bald, disdain, proper, etiquette, unknown, unruly, unreliable, undiscovered, unbelievable, unctuous, underneath, fingers, scratching, man, arm, pit, falling, death, hidden, sex, fuck, delicious....

The next part is to highlight a certain number of words (we'll say ten in this case) and use them in the creation of a poem.  I'm going to alter the text color to red.  Because red is awesome.  And so poem number one will use the following words: gold, glass, piercing, painful, scraped, succor, fire, Catholic, skin, and innocent.  The second poem will feature: death, black, shadow, circles, puncture, killing, unctuous, underneath, scratching, and sex.  I am going to try and use the words as they are, unmolested from their tense and pluralizations, but I'm not making that a firm rule.  Also I am going to make the poems separate posts so that I don't see the pictures as I write; I am going to use the words for inspiration rather than the images that spawned them.  Hmm.  Spawn is such a great word, in any tense.


Amanda LaFantasie © August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment