Sunday, August 10, 2014

Renewed Passion for Death Man

It's true that much of my best work is done under the pressure of a deadline when it gets right down to the wire.  Today I had some major breakthroughs with the novel I've been playing with for the past almost two years now.  It has become my MFA thesis and today, while engaged in a very long conversation with my father about how one might go about seeking justice and how patience is a virtue when planning an assassination, I realized the problem with one of my characters was age and geography.  

I'm going to just go for it like a race horse on steroids because whatever isn't working, my mentor will tell me, and whatever is working... well, my mentor will tell me.  I'm just going to throw it all at her and see what she thinks because I feel like this novel turned over a whole new leaf today.  I was stressed and struggling and now I have a sweet little character who may or may not live and if he does live, well, hell, I might just give him a sequel!

So far I've accomplished a pretty good portion of what needs to be done for this packet.  I'm really sad because I won't have a fresh amount of pages for her since I'm redoing some of it - that means she will be getting a pinch of older material to go along with the new stuff.  I think if I can edit like a mother fucker we might be in the clear.  But that is for Monday.  All day Monday!  And then I have some more time to work on Tuesday in the back room at work.  I have to be there at 8:30 for an hour long store meeting and then I am just going to stay put until 12:45 when I have to work my five hour shift.  Usually, when this happens, I use that time to read but this time around it's gonna be a revise and edit day for the entire Simon chapter.  Also I might shorten the chapters and push the pace a little.  I can always slow things down - honestly I find it's harder to speed them up, so lets push it now and create less of a problem later.  

2 comments:

  1. I like what you're doing with the story, just don't over complicate things. Remember, sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it up! I agree with Hannah, though. Don't get too carried away. Keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete