Sunday, November 30, 2014

Holiday Letter!

I have a long to-do list.  I've had my Thanksgiving fun and now it's back to work.  I got one item ticked off the list tonight and that is the Holiday Letter.  Most of our friends and family will be getting this letter in the mail with a Christmas/Yule card.  But I was kind of proud and thought I would share it here as well.  If you read it here first and then get it in the mail... still act surprised!



Holiday Letter 2014

Dear family and friends, I hope you’re all right,
My thoughts are of you as I sit down to write:
Twelve months is a lot to cram in a letter,
Just like my boobs barely fit in a sweater.
So where to begin? Let me line up my ducks, 
Please poets forgive me, my iambic sucks.
Another year’s over and what is the news? 
I’ll tell you the tale and await your reviews.

This April, Miss Hannah joined SNHU,
To finish her bachelors and broaden her view.
Through workshops and classes she’s written a bunch!
But ‘applied finite math,’ she’d just like to punch.
Along with her school, she’s got crafts and crochet,
She’s pumping out afghans, at least one a day!
Often she’s homesick for the Wichita crew,
And so she extends an, “I love and miss you!” 

Now me, I still work at L’eggs Hanes and Bali,
And hope for the day we might live in the Valley
Of Spokane, if you please, or even downtown,
Closer to culture, we’d like to settle down.
My Masters in writing, I’ve almost attained,
My sources are cited, my fingers are trained!
Graduation’s in July and if all goes well
I’ll have a dystopian story to sell.

Six months ago we had a hard time for sure,
We lost our sweet Yoda, our baby of fur.
He’s a kitty we’ll never ever forget,
But to help heal our hearts, we sought a new pet.
So, a black scraggly beast, Narcisa, she’s called,
Now leaves fresh destruction wherever she’s crawled.
Galen and Ellie and Narcisa make three,
And Yoda makes four alive in memory.

This year has been busy from schoolwork alone,
We barely had time to explore the unknown.
We hunted for ghosts and read lots of tarot,
Camped in the summer, the cold chilled our marrow.
And then in the autumn, a party we threw,
To say, "out with the old and in with the new."
As you finish this letter, how ‘bout a dare? 
Close both your eyes and for a second we’re there.

Snow Queen Yule Winter Solstice Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment