Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Sir Simon, Who Knew?

Knight of Swords
Lift me up, spirits of sky.

Grant me keen sight of Hawk,
swiftness of Sparrow.
Grant me insight of Raven,
brave heartbeat of Hummingbird.
Bear me up with grace on wings of Swan,
guide me with visions of wisdom from Owl.
I had a couple of questions about my character Simon tonight.  I decided to ask my Tarot.  The Shadowscapes Tarot by Pui-Mun Law and Barbara Moore has been a wonderful deck to inspire me for Death Man.  The Two of Swords is Matthias all the way: the stale-mate crossroads, crossed swords, indecision and dread at the outcome of finally making a decision - all of that fits Matthias thematically but also physically.  Matthias is a tall, brooding figure, cloaked as per his profession.  He is mostly cast in mystery and all of that, to me, is perfect for him.  I've always felt this card was Matthias.  Now as for Simon - I've seen him more as the Seven or Nine of Swords.  Both these cards picture younger, lithe male forms riddled with guilt, regret, fear, and even (as in the case of the Seven) willful deception, shirking of responsibility, and a grave mistrust in others.  Yeah, Simon's not a real confident fellow.  

But tonight when I drew for him asking 'why does he want to upset the establishment, what makes him take the step that puts him in the middle of things?' I drew the Knight of Swords.  The Knight is confident and self assured and sharp of wit and weapon.  When I look at this card and think of Simon I see a young man who is smart and who has suffered for that intelligence and who is through with suffering.  He is on his way to create change, who can no longer hide behind assumed ignorance.  I see someone who loves fiercely, who turns sadness into action.  I see Simon.

No comments:

Post a Comment