Thursday, October 8, 2015

Door Charms, Playing Catch-Up

Lots has happened recently. But I can talk about that another time. Suffice it to say that I'm about to embark on a crazy journey into a new job, and I'm doing it without Hannah by my side as she is currently helping out her family in Wichita. She's only supposed to be gone for about two or three weeks but it's going to be a long two or three weeks. 

In an attempt to catch up with Creative October, I've begun scripting out the blessings/devotionals/invocations that will accompany the door charms. I know this is technically one part of a bigger project, but writing these things takes time and energy and I think they count as their own project well before they become part of their corresponding charms. This covers Days 4, 5, and 6. I'm still behind but not so far at least!

First, I created a devotional to Hestia who is one of the sweetest and cool headed goddesses of the entire Greek pantheon. I've only recently begun to study her and she is absolutely wonderful. She is a goddess everyone should have in their home. In fact, Zeus thought her to be so badass that he made it a requirement to pay honor to her at every shrine regardless of whom the shrine was erected to. So if you wanted to go and pray to Hades, you had to also tip your hat to Hestia. There's so much more to her and I don't really have the time or the brain power to write it all out right now, but if you get the chance, look her up!

I found the picture of Hestia on the internet, but the text is mine.
Next I did a devotional to Hecate. She and Hestia are both virgin goddesses (meaning they never married) and I have a certain affinity for virgin goddesses (Artemis included) probably because I'm my Astrological sign is a Virgo. That or I just relate to a husband-less female. Anyway, for both of them being virginal goddesses, they definitely have a different feel. Hecate is edgy as hell.

This artist rendition was just too cool! The artist's name is Dasha Pliska. Usually Hecate is pictured with three heads/faces, but I gotta say, I'm totally digging the three sets of arms.
Lastly, I wanted to show off my inner nerd and do a devotional/summoning/invocation to Yog-Sothoth from Lovecraft. He's the Gatekeeper for the Ancient Ones and is probably the nicest of the Old Gods. He's the only one you can gaze upon without instantly going insane. Or so they say. Anyway, here's the charm invocation for an Elder God complete with text from one of Lovecraft's stories. Oh, and by the way: Yog-Sothoth is usually portrayed as a bunch of glowing orbs with teeth and tentacles. But sometimes he takes on a less amorphous shape.

Click here for a link to the original artwork.
Because this font is a little hard to read, I'm going to add the text here: 
“Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke though of old, and where They shall break through again. He know where They have trod earth’s fields, and where They still stread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.” –The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft
Yog-Sothoth, The Oldest, the Keeper of the Gate,
Locked outside the universe, where You lie and wait,
I call You to my threshold, a wish upon my tongue,
Guard the creatures of this house, from dead to old to young.
God of Outermost Darkness, let no evil in,
Discern with your all-seeing eyes, the foe from friend or kin.
I ask for your protection, may it never be undone,
You are the gate, You are the key, You are the All-in-One!
 Yog-Sothoth Nafl’Fthagn! I summon thee, so mote it be! 

So to answer all the questions for the creative projects: 1) I did three devotionals to be attached to key charms which will them be placed over doorways. 2) I learned a great deal about goddesses and an Ancient One; things that I had not previously known. I also learned to get over my fear of mixing nerdiness with divine practice. It was fun and interesting to write to Yog-Sothoth. I believe that because Lovecraft conceived of him that he does exist as least in our imagination and that is probably purer existence than most things in the physical realm. Also I learned that rhyming really does make a charm read better. I feel bad for Hestia's not rhyming. But she is so level headed and just downright sweet, that I felt petitioning her ought to be more conversational in a way. 3) Yes I completed the projects but way late. I will get caught up and then keep on pushing. This month is going to be nuts but the busier I am the more productive I am, or so I'm going to keep telling myself. I'll be back tomorrow with more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment