Friday, December 20, 2013

Poetry, I Lacks it

One of my goals for the new year is to write some poetry.  It's mainly just to nourish my soul a little but I wouldn't mind sharing them on the blog.  One of my friends shared a great "forwards/backwards" poem the other day (I'm sure there's an official name for this but, meh) and if you read it top to bottom it is an atheists view of the world and if you read it from the bottom up it becomes a Christian's view of the world.  It's a pretty neat style and I've been curious and excited about it ever since another friend wrote her very own "forwards/backwards" poems, taking it even a step further so that there are four ways to read it and each way gives a new perspective to the characters within.  I want to poetry!  I need to poetry.  But after playing with words for about half an hour and coming up with nothing, I gave up on the writing and went, instead, to the reading.  I found a neat page with lots of darker poetry (classic and contemporary) compiled into a single text.  So, since I can't write anything of value tonight, I'll just share one of my favorite poems for now and give this whole poetry thing another shot tomorrow.

Resume
by Dorothy Parker

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

3 comments:

  1. If you like dark or unsettling poetry you should try these out:

    http://gawow.com/roethke/poems/

    My favorite is The Waking but Epidermal Macabre is also good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm going to check these out, thank you, thank you <3 I love poetry and sometimes I forget that >< I forget how much I love it and then I forget how to find it LOL. ^_^

      Delete