Sunday, December 23, 2012

New Year's Resolutions/Goals

For 2013 I want to work on organization and time management which have always been two of my weak spots.  Now that I am enrolled in the Solstice MFA Program at Pine Manor College both of these things are going to play a key part in my being able to not only succeed in Grad School but walk away with a new handle on craft and delivery and a possible future in teaching.  My main resolution, school wise, is to set up a schedule (weekly or daily) to assure that I am not scrambling last minute to read, write, analyze, or otherwise for various assignments.  As part of a personal resolution I am going to make it a goal to write a minimum of 500 words a day (this means EVERY SINGLE DAY) and simple status updates and texts don't count.  It has to be writing toward some kind of purpose, even if that purpose is nonsensical venting.  I've tried something like this in the past and did really well writing every day up until around late March early April.  This year there will be no slacking.  If I am really going to be a writer then I have to write.  Period.  Another resolution (a financial one) is to start saving all my receipts and important pieces of mail.  I need to keep better track of these things not only so I can feel more grown up in some respects but also to get into the habit of knowing where my money went.  Another financial goal is to start setting aside ten to twenty bucks out of every pay check for emergencies and end of the year Christmas expenses.  There are other things I want to keep in mind throughout the year as well and so, without further ado, here is the more visually aesthetic version of my New Year's Resolutions:

  • Create and stick to a detailed schedule concerning all MFA related activities and tasks
  • Write a minimum of 500 words per day, every day 
  • Work on various stories with an emphasis on finishing 'Very Un-Vampire'
  • Keep all receipts and organize them by type of purchases
  • Set aside a minimum of ten dollars from each paycheck into emergency/Christmas fund
  • Exercise for thirty minutes at least three days per week (make it a habit)

These are just a few of the things I need and want to become more aware of during the next year.  I want to continue watching my caffeine intake and I want to work on some art projects - maybe even do some painting.  2013 is the year that I will turn thirty and I think in order for me to embrace the big three-oh with some sense of dignity I would like to have accomplished something with my talents (or be in the process of accomplishing something), and so I would like very much to send something out for publication.  Even if it is rejected (and it probably will be as most first time submissions meet this fate) I will feel good just knowing that I have taken that step.  

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, if you can stick to all that stuff it would be great.

    My strongest suit is finances. I manage to do pretty well with my limited resources and I have a good system for keeping track of them. I used to use Microsoft Money to enter my transactions and manage them into categories then open up charts to see where all the money's going. Now all those programs are tied into your bank account and the last trial I downloaded, you couldn't use the program without having it connected to your hotmail passport and your bank account, so I stick to paper these days.

    I keep every single receipt and store them in a notebook with pockets. I have a box with three years of statements, receipts and registers. I use a four column journal for keeping track of my money. I label one column 'checks', one 'POS/Debit' one 'deposits' and the last one 'balance'

    I make my budget at the top, listing my income followed by my anticipated expenses. I subract the later from the former to see how much disposable income I have left. Then I draw a line under my budget and use the rest of the sheet for actual transactions.

    I got a diploma in bookkeeping and accounting about 20 years ago through a distance learning program. It's how I got my first windows computer. Actually, I really just wanted a computer but had sucky credit and this was a good way to get one and get a diploma to boot. I really should get a frame for the thing. I think I've taken it out of the cardboard cylinder a total of three times, look at it, roll it back up and toss it back into the closet. xD

    It's strange..I'm so cluttered and undisciplined in so many areas of my life-most of them in face-but when it comes to managing my money, I'm very organized. My house is a wreck, but my register, my computer and my purse are always organized and uncluttered. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given up on most of these LOL - I admire anyone who can keep their finances in order. Such things seem to be a weakness of mine. I'm not a crazy spender and I know where my money goes for the most part but I am 'le disorganized' as shit. *sigh*

      Delete