Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Library, Novel, and 4K Pageviews

I'm sitting at the Post Falls Public Library.   This is a really fantastic building.  I spent numerous hours here before the MFA and after starting it, this is now a second home for me.  It's calm, peaceful (for the most part), and the librarians are all wonderful people.  Hannah and I have come here and used the private study rooms a few times and while they are great, they are almost too great - too cozy - and there is a huge temptation to curl up and sleep on the keyboard.  It's just that nice of a place.  I've slept her a few times (naps in the chairs while Hannah works on her writing or blogging) and then a semi-medicinal slumber with my head propped up by the heel of my hand.  Right now, I'm comfy but not sleepy.

I'm going back and forth between working on a short story and working on a pivotal chapter for Death Man.  For some reason this chapter is giving me the kind of resistance one might expect from a two-year-old being force fed liver and onions at an obscure relative's funeral.  Yeah.  It's like that.  So I'm going to shove that spoon as far down his little throat as far I can today.  Or try to, at least.  As for how the MFA is going overall, I am absolutely loving this mentor but I can definitely see where I am a bit more tentative in my writing, aiming for perfection in my first drafts and then going out of my mind editing and revising.  It's good for me, but I need to embrace the fact that I can't write a perfect chapter for this man, that I just need to pump out as much as I am able to so that he can help me not only hone what I have, but propel me toward more.  That is the goal of this packet.

In other news, this blog has reached over four thousand page views.  This is a very nominal number when compared with the page views for the Detangled Writers blog, but this one is much more intimate and I am just thrilled that after a year (the blog's anniversary was actually last month!) or so of writing, whining, explaining, and planning, it's still a useful outlet for my creativity and, I hope, somewhat entertaining to my readers.  Now.  Back to my chapter and force feeding the figurative two-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment