Friday, May 17, 2013

Battle Royale


What I know: the novel is amazing and I cried twice.  Koushun Takami authored the novel and the manga but after extensive research into the differences between the two, I much prefer the novel.  I know that the author was able to maybe go  little further into certain characters' psyches in the manga (thereby altering some of their actions from the original text of the novel) but when it comes to one character specifically, there is a much clearer moment of sympathy/humanization in the novel that the manga sort of corrupts.  However, something I know is that the manga follows the novel fairly well (it ought to, since the same man wrote them), but the movie takes a bit of a leap off into left field.  It adds details that are completely inessential while glossing over and pruning away fun facts, important moments, and huge chunks of characterization that give it a semi generic feel.  The ending is obscure and failed to pull my heartstrings the way the novel did.  I definitely recommend that anyone interested in Battle Royale, please, please, please read the novel and don't just settle for the film.

Something else that I know: there was supposed to be another movie adaptation made - an American retelling.  But as the same time the movie was in the works, the Virginia Tech Massacre occurred and they made the decision to drop it.  I think that was probably a very wise decision since the story in and of itself deals with the deaths of students via gunfire in a massacre all its own.  Just as they were getting ready to consider the adaptation again, however, Hunger Games was made into a movie.  Battle Royale, despite coming first, would be seen as a knock off of Hunger Games since they are so strikingly similar.  I don't think there needs to be an American film adaptation any time soon, what I do think, is that people should pick up the book and enjoy suspense, anguish, sorry, excitement, and the fabulous lesson of: if you don't like the world/society you live in... change it!


I was very impressed and moved by this book and applaud Koushun Takami's ingenuity and bravery in bringing it to life.  Already I am planning on getting a tattoo that reads:  Male Student #5: Shogo Kawada (川田章吾).  I might even go book-wild and throw on Sydney Carton's final quote form A Tale of Two Cities just to really start my bodily shrine of self sacrificing, anti-heroes off right!

1 comment:

  1. AS I told you, the movie's even disappointing if you haven't read the book because the ending makes no damn sense. If your ending is dumb even in the context of your own movie, you're doing something wrong.

    I'm actually considering giving this a read myself some day.

    ReplyDelete