Friday, May 23, 2014

MFA Success & Job Malfunction

I really adore my mentor this semester.  Honestly, I've loved all my mentors so far and I've learned so much from all of them that it would be hard to say who has influenced me the most.  But this semester was a hard semester.  I had to write a critical thesis, which sucked.  However, my topic was on world building in Dystopian Fiction, which didn't suck.  Steve (my mentor from first semester) is the one who suggested this topic and Laura (my current, wonderful mentor) helped me develop and complete it.  Today she emailed me back that my paper is a go.  I have a few tiny things to correct because printing it, binding it, and sending it.  That is going to be the task this weekend as well as working more on my workshop pieces.  

So, as far as the MFA pursuit goes, I'm on track.  As far as career/job/money making goes, I'm rather confused.  I typically work three days a week at my job (sometimes more and sometimes less depending on who is taking vacations, etc.).  But for two weeks now I am only working two days each week.  This will not give me any sort of a living wage.  I realize I have BioLife as a back-up money maker, but not only is that invasive and upsetting, it's not guaranteed.  If I'm sick, if my iron is too low, if I'm not hydrated enough, or if I get hurt on my arms near the donation sight then I'm fucked.  So I'm starting to freak out a little and wonder if I did something to upset my bosses.  They know I'm taking two weeks off in July for the residency and that I could use a few extra days leading into that.  If I knew what I did - if I was sitting here going 'oh, crap, that's totally the reason they want me there as little as possible' - that would be one thing.  But I work my ass off at this job and I get a great deal of positive feedback from customers.  No one has said anything to me, but I'm scared.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe my Boss is angry because other employers have called her?  I did apply at four places.  But so far those look less than promising and my Boss straight up knows I'm not making it on the hours I've got.  I've told her I'm looking for a second job so... what gives?  

1 comment:

  1. I really hope that you actually talk to your boss and find out what is going on. In the mean time, keep applying for other jobs, no one can fault you for that. And if they do then they suck and need to be bitch slapped!

    ReplyDelete