Sunday, January 26, 2014

We are reaching Critical Mass!


I still have quite a bit to do before next Thursday but I am confident I can accomplish a fair amount in the next two days.  I have to keep going on the introduction for the critical thesis and I have to finish the outline.  I also have to work on the artist's statement and cover letter.  BUT!  I have finished two books: Feed by M.T. Anderson and Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy by Crawford Killian.  I have started a few others and will probably finish off Asunder by Robert Lopez and More Daring Escapes by Steve Huff while at work on Tuesday.  We've had ridiculously slow days at work which sucks for the store but is great for me getting some reading done.  What I really, really want to do tomorrow or even late tonight is work on Death Man a little.  I've gotten such amazing feedback on it and I'm proud that the few snippets my workshop group has read has sparked such furious and animated debate!

Goals for tonight: keep on reading The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, and also The Book of Execution by Geoffrey Abbott.  At least a little bit on each before bed.  And try and get out a little on Death Man - either editing/revising the first scene (which may or may not even be the first scene anymore), or trucking ahead on the violent initiating incident of the novel.


Things yet to come: I am eager for my W2 to finally show up so I can get my taxes done.  I think that I have quite a handsome return coming which is nice because all of my student loans went to the vehicles.  It was a necessary expense but kind of depressing, too.  Still there is an upside!  We have my Kia back which gets better gas mileage than the Jeep and it will make trips down to Moscow a great deal cheaper, but it will also allow us to go to Seattle and visit some friends from the residency.  This is something we've been wanting to do since shortly after my first residency but just never had time or money for.  Well, right now we are tight on money but I have some spare time (the time I'm not actively using for homework) because work is so unbearably slow.  We are planning to head over the second weekend of February for just the weekend.  I figure the five hour drive over ought to give us a little reading time.

The other thing going on is that Vignette, my cute little Vizio computer, is acting up again.  She's shut off (completely randomly and under different circumstances each time) three times now.  I'm very aggravated.  I just got her back from the Vizio people who said they repaired her.  My warranty only lasts until April.  I really think they might just need to give me a new one because I can't do a damn thing on this computer without harboring panic that it will go up in a puff of smoke the next time Vignette decides to just shut down for no reason at all.  We'll deal with that tomorrow when I call them up again.  In the mean time, onto some reading, some playing, and some writing.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you feel confident about your thesis right now...try to keep that up! And if you fall into a pit of critical despair, I will do my best to pull you out of it!

    Damn, I wish I had that kind of downtime at my job. Most of the time I can't even think about anything other than work, because the kiddies need so much attention.

    And your computer sounds super sketchy...maybe you SHOULD see if they'll replace it for you, before it dies while you're working on your thesis and haven't had time to back up the part you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly try to keep the good feelings coming with the critical thesis part. I might share my intro either on this blog or on the DW blog just to get a little feedback and self affirmation LOL. And lol yeah I hate being bored at work but love having some down time to read - it's been a real blessing at work. And as far as this compy goes - I'm just so sad :( I want her to be my perfect little Vignette again! *flails*

      Delete