Sunday, March 31, 2013

Jumping the Gun

I thought it would be cute, since my title is rather cliche, to write about the origin of the phrase 'jump/ing the gun.'  In my zeal to put off my homework by engaging in completely useless research I went to work, but my finger slipped and I typed in 'humping' instead of jumping.  I thought about correcting it but figured that Google, in its infinite wisdom would respond with 'do you mean jumping the gun?'  To my surprise, humping the gun was a legit search yielding a game glitch called 'The Humping Gun XD' on YouTube, the lyrics to Machine Gun Fellatio's "(Let Me Be Your) Dirty Fucking Whore," and the Urban Dictionary's results for big fucking gun, to name a few.  Consequently, "Dirty Fucking Whore" is a very cute little song, presented with a vaudevillian style and chock full of lyrics that would make the Marquis de Sade sigh in contentment.

Moving on.  Jumping the gun, as it turns out, relates to sporting events wherein a gun is used to signify the start.  The obvious example is track and field and the starter pistol.  Jumping the gun then is when a participant moves before the gun goes off and has come to mean, of course, a movement or conclusion drawn before its time.  And that brings me to this list.  I have compiled a list for next semester's reading.  This is a list of possibilities and is in no way final, but so far these are the books that I am interested in having a go at.  A few of them are carry overs from this semester.  We are supposed to read approximately twenty books a semester and my first list contained over twenty-five.  There will definitely be carry overs.

Second Semester Possibilities:



Carry Overs:
First Semester List:
1st Packet Due: Thursday, February 7, 2013
2nd Packet Due: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
3rd Packet Due: Wednesday, April 3, 2013
4th Packet Due: Wednesday, May 1, 2013
5th Packet Due: Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The above dates are pretty self explanatory.  I've marked off the third packet because it's due in about three days.  I still have some work to do on it.  The cover letter is almost there and I have a vague outline for my craft analysis completed.  I'm going to try and do one longer one comparing the Matheson and McCormack novels.  I need to add in a secondary source if possible and for that I am looking to literary magazines.  I am reading an interesting article in "The Writer's Chronicle" that draws a very strict line between homo sapiens and homo fictus.  While I disagree with most of what the article says, I think it would be a fabulous secondary source for characterization sometime.  Since I am looking at narrative structure and the presentation of thought and memory (speculatively at this point since I haven't settled on a concrete idea as of yet) that article won't provide much help.  Other than that I have a little more polishing and writing to do on my creative work.  Honestly, this packet has been very hard for me.  I received wonderful feedback after the last packet and yet I just ran out of steam.  This month held a great many social and work responsibilities that other months hadn't.  Next month should be pretty quiet and hopefully I'll be able to really crank out some work on my novel.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is a pathetic thing to comment one, but somewhere around here I have the Child Thief and you're welcome to borrow it so you can take as much time with it as you need instead of worrying about library deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo that sounds nice, thank you Liz! Remind me that we still have a few of your books next time we come to visit as well as some DVDs.

    As for you, Amanda-Panda, I'm going to be more of a slave driver since you are so easily distracted. I know, some of it has been my fault, but we both need a schedule and to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete