Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Boston Bound!

In a few hours I'll be heading out to the airport and taking off for Boston, MA.  This will be my second of five residencies with the Solstice MFA Creative Writing Program.  I'm thrilled that I'll be able to reconnect with my classmates and faculty members, all of them wonderful people and excellent writers.  This Friday I will be introducing my mentor at the faculty reading and I hope I do well.  He was a fantastic mentor to me this past semester and I know I definitely want to have him as a mentor again in a later semester.  This next go around might see me working on a YA novel and so I'll be looking for a YA geared mentor to guide me through the next six months.

All I have left to do is finish a pinch of packing, do a clean up of my computer - it's like fingerprint heaven, get my computer bag all together and decide if I need blanket or not... for the sake of space in the airplane and in my luggage I'm thinking no.  I've had two cups of coffee (and will have a third en route) and we need to stop at WinCo and grab some Idaho Spuds to add to my host gift.  E was Solstice Buddy first semester and we had a great time getting to know each other at the residency.  She invited me to be her roommate while on campus and she's also letting me stay with her and her family before and after our time at Pine Manor.  This is just so wonderfully generous!  I wish I could do more, but as it is, I have a little gift bag of goodies - not much but just a few fun Idaho things - for her and hers.

Next on my list of things to do is to get a shower real quick and get all dressed and ready for the day.  It's going to be an all night journey with lots of reading and snoozing.  We have fun planned for tomorrow but I worry that at some point I'm going to just crash.  Crossing three time zones does tend to take its toll on poor old me.  By this time tomorrow (give or take three hours) I'll be relaxing with E and getting my brain all set for round two of my time as a grad student.  I'm nervous and excited.  I'm going to be super busy with classes but whenever there's a free moment I'll be socializing with my friends and enjoying copious amounts of coffee.

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad that you got to go, but I wish it was over and that you were flying home right now. Love you! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete