Monday, January 7, 2013

Day Five in Boston - Cock and Kenan

I had my official workshop - for the actual text - today and it went very well.  We looked at my piece as well as several others.  At the end of the workshop they give you back their copy of your story and you can look over their notes and questions at your leisure.  Well, after lunch and a class on archetypes (fabulous, by the way), I did just that.  Some comments and 'smiling faces' made me blush and then I came across my 'Solstice Buddy's copy and she'd not only underlined and numbered every sexual innuendo and inference in the piece, she also circled the word 'cock' and wrote, 'I so wasn't ready for that!'  Apparently the cock came off a bit strong, but isn't that the nature of the beast?  It made me giggle.  I also enjoyed that she could already envision a vampiric feeding scene taking place during a blow job.  Yes, I'd say my work here is done, but it's only just started.

The grad student readings were wonderful and exciting and the faculty readings were the best yet.  All three faculty members had pieces that were humorous and touching.  Randall Kenan's reading of his new piece was particularly fantastic.  I definitely want this man as my mentor at some point. No, not want.  Need.  He's just pure win.  Many of the faculty here are pure win and I feel particularly spoiled to be able to talk with them on a daily basis during the residency.  You can read a bit more about him and see a great profile pic on Goodreads.

Tonight I'm working on a variety of things to prepare for the next section of workshops as well as for Randall's class on Magical Realism.  I have a Starbuck's date with Marilyn and Jennifer tomorrow and while I adore the campus, I'm super stoked to leave it for just a little while.  Also it looks as though I won't be spending my last night at the airport as I've been invited to stay with my Solstice Buddy for the night and then head out to Logan the next day.  I cannot thank her enough for this generosity.

5 comments:

  1. lol, love the choice of picture ;) And I'm glad you're having such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, first off, Dr. Kenan is GORGEOUS! Just saying! And that photo is breathtaking. And next, I am super excited the workshops are working out so well for you! That makes me super super happy! I hope the rest of your experience is as wonderful. And haha, I love vampire feeding, blowjob scenes, I've read a few in the past and they make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cock, cock, cock! Wheee! xDDD

    I was at another forum where someone was discussing 'entities' making sexual passes and moves on human people and one person [British]used the term 'jibbly bits'. I love it!

    So glad you wont have to curl up in a corner at the airport, that would be major suckage to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was funny how I was just telling you in the last comment about someone writing about the entity experience and then the Goodreads profile for Kenan says his first book is "A Visitation of Spirits" ><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if I'm not mistaken >.> his book about a visitation of spirits is about a young adult coming to the realization that he is *le gasp* gayer than gay LOL - so the jibbly bits comment is quite apropos! XD I can't wait to read his novel. I'm kicking myself in the ass because I didn't remember to have him sign my copies before he slipped away yesterday! He'd been here all week, too! But I suppose there's always next residency.

      Delete