Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day Three in Boston - Dystopia and Vampires

This morning I awoke at an ungodly hour and tramped my way over to the student center for a danish and coffee, then I went searching for a place to call home for a few moments so that I could work on making notes on my classmates' workshop pieces.  On my way to the allegedly haunted Moncreif Building I saw three plump, grey squirrels playing tag (or perhaps it was keep away) in the tall, tall pine trees.  I stopped and enjoyed them for a while and then went on my way.  This place is wonderful for things like that - we're so secluded and private and filled with nature.

Workshops went well today and my synopsis is up tomorrow.  I am nervous but after I revise it some tonight I think I'll be ready.  The rest of the day went quickly.  It was filled with Craft Analysis class and 'The Future Now: Dystopia.'  I do not have a 'shut up button' and sometimes I wish I did; between Marilyn and I, we monopolized all the conversation in that class.  I think I could talk to her for hours and we'd never run out of things to say.  I'm enjoying her company immensely, as well as the company of the rest of my fiction group.  There are also some Poetry and Young Adult writers that I have come to seek out in the dining hall and stalk about the campus always eager for an audience with their awesomeness.  Such a feeling of family here.  I only really feel alone at night because I have no roommate, nor a Hannah.  Not even any kitties to keep me company.  But I'm surviving.

I purchased three books today and am eager to snag a few more before I leave.  These are the novels that the teachers and staff here have published and they all look so amazing that I'm really torn as to which I can justifiably leave with.  I may grab some more via Amazon at a later date but if I purchase them here I get the luxury of having the author him/herself sign the copy for me and there's something wildly exciting about that.  I love signed copies of things.

In other news, I am exhausted!  I hope to get some good sleep in tonight.  I'll be putting up my notes from the Dystopian class on the Detangled Writers Blog either tonight or in the morning.  For now, just wish me luck as I'm about to have my poor little vampire quite crucified on the workshop table tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment